Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Lightning!

After dinner at the lodge on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, we went outside to catch the views under the light of a full moon. We could see storms off in the distance, and with tripod and camera in hand, I was ready to shoot. This was my first time shooting lightning...

Copyright (C) 2010 Mary Weiland

I left the shutter open for 25 seconds, took repeated pictures, and crossed my fingers. The moonlight was coming from the upper left portion of the frame, and cast a lot of light. I didn't try to shoot longer than 25 seconds - I think excitement, nerves, etc. took over and I didn't leave room for experimentation. If I left the shutter open to 30 seconds, the blues in the sky may have been more vibrant...but I also had to compensate for the full moon light.

Copyright (C) 2010 Mary Weiland

I did not have my zoom lens with me (80 - 200 mm f/2.8) because I did not want to carry the weight of an extra lens on the hike from North to South Rim, so these shots were taken with an 18 - 70 mm lens at 60 - 70mm lengths. Maybe they would have been stronger shots with a longer zoom, but I am happy with the turnout. I like the fact that you can see the cloud cover and the rain coming down.

Next time I have the opportunity to shoot lightning, I will experiment more with timing/shutter speed, and focal length. I did learn, though, that it is all luck. As soon as the shutter closed, sure enough, the best lightning strikes occurred.

2 comments:

  1. ... though it looks like if you had gone much longer than 25 seconds, you might've lost some nice detail in those moving clouds (especially in the second picture)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think about that. I wonder if I left it open longer if there would be more detail or if it would have been washed out? I do like the softness of the moving clouds - I think it provides a nice contrast to the lightning. I have a night shot you may like -it's of the big dipper over the lodge at the North Rim. Really wanted to get some night shots...but with lots of cloud cover and a full moon, it didn't happen.

    ReplyDelete